Monday, December 29, 2008

Freddie Hubbard, rest In peace.

I was fortunate to hear Freddie Hubbard at the Montreaux jazz festival in 1983, in both large concert & very small (6 feet away!) club settings. He was a brilliant performer, and one of the finest trumpet players of his generation (I've also seen Woody Shaw & Dizzy Gillespie in intimate clubs). In reality, he was THE choice on trumpet for scores of the finest jazz recordings, because Miles didn't play on other people's records (I'm just saying that Miles was more famous - in every technical/musicical way, Freddie Hubbard is anyone's equal - Miles' musical vision and bandleading was unique). He recorded many stunning albums himself. When I posted the artwork for two of them (I'm listening to RED CLAY right now) last week, I had no idea that I'd be writing this, and am sad that I am.
Drink a toast to a great.

No comments: