Thursday, August 6, 2009

My First Technics by Panasonic Receiver

This sold Saturday
I just finished cleaning this Technics SA-5160 25 watt/channel receiver and have been listening with the Mordaunt Short Festival 3s for about half an hour. I am impressed with the design, construction quality, serviceability and sound.

This beauty was made in 1976, when Panasonic was launching the Technics brand, a mainstream mass market company going for a slice of the high end. I am familiar with the legendary early turntables and outrageous speakers, but I've never listened to a vintage Technics receiver (knowingly) before today.

I will tell you more about the quality later, but let me tell you the design, machining and sheer weight of the aluminum front panel makes a Marantz front panel feel like tinfoil.

e-mail me

No comments: