Saturday, November 21, 2009

NOTHING TO LOSE!

I don't have a record cleaning machine. I bought a very inexpensive copy of All 'N' All by Earth Wind & Fire, that without my reading glasses on looked ok, but on closer inspection (and playing) appeared to have a layer of sugary, crackle and pop inducing glaze all over both sides. I was dying to hear it last night, so washed it like a dish (but rinsed for a very long time).
And it worked! It is now playable, reasonably quiet and full of vinyl detail, musicality and goodness.

All 'N' All is a kickass, relentlessly funky album from a real band at the top of it's game. Awesome rhythm section, ferocious horns. Serpentine Fire is blistering!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lloyd,

I've used this technique a bunch of times, seems to work pretty well. Nice to see you're spinning some vinyl - Great album too! The speakers and amp sound great.

Cheers,
Dustin

pat said...

Wow, the dishwasher! Are you kidding me?! I was looking at record cleaners on eBay, but the price tag of $500+ put me off.

I might have to try this. My copy of U2's "Achtung Baby" hung out a lot with Snap, Crackle and Pop in it's previous life :)

- pat