Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Tubes Are Leaving On Friday.

The Dynaco gear sounds beautiful.

It has been reliable and trouble free so far, and I expect that it will continue to be. For a first timer, that's important to me. It is as quiet as anything solid state that I've had...no hums or buzzes.

WARNING! EXCESSIVE AUDIOPHILE JARGON:
It has the beautiful, transparent, liquid, grain-free, coherent midrange and high end that I'd hoped for and (expected). It presents recorded spatial ambience convincingly.

I've really enjoyed listening to some of my favorite recordings. The Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions, recorded with one stereo microphone to two track live at Trinity Church in downtown Toronto. It sounded amazing through the Dynaco stuff, driving either Mission 770 freedom 4s, Burhoe Blues or JBL L26s.

BUT Linton Kwesi Johnson, my desert island reggae artist, or Black Uhuru, or The Black Crowes don't have the bottom end heft and articulation that I know is there. What's there is nice, but the bass sounds rolled.

SO I've been making my music selections around the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment. That doesn't make me very happy, even though I know how good the right music (and recording) can sound.

Right now, I'm listening to the Marantz 1122DC driving the Missions. If I am missing some
WARNING! EXCESSIVE AUDIOPHILE JARGON:
transparency & liquidity, I'll be ok.

I breifly used the PAS-3 with the giant UREI amp, and it sounded really nice. Using a 95 pound, 275 watt/channel amp is a reliable way to ensure the Dynaco delivers full bass response.

I'm sure I'll have tube gear in this place again. Some people will shake there heads in bewilderment, but I will enjoy the music just as much until then.

There you have it. More to come.

No comments: