Saturday, July 17, 2010

The 3 new speakers.

First, the a freakily well preserved pair of EPI 100s. They look about 6 months old. I refoamed the woofers last night (I would have done all 3 sets last night, but I was out of foam and glue), and they sound just like they should. They are a budget classic, and a steal today, with one of the great tweeters.

Second, a pair of Braun L830s, 3 way, sealed systems with 10 inch woofers, the famous Braun dome midrange, which I've never heard before, and their superb dome tweeter. They have rounded corners, teak veneer cabinets and silver perforated metal grills. all the veneer on the curves is peeling off on one, so I have some work to do before they look as good as they sound. They do sound great. The midrange dome is famous for good reason. With an amp that likes 4 ohm speakers, they are very dynamic. It's no secret that JBL, Mission and ADS are at the top of my favourite speaker list. I've never had Brauns in my home before. They are every bit as good as I'd hoped, and at least as good as similarly numbered ADS models.

Finally, the pair I was least excited about until I read up and then saw (and lifted) them. I have a pair of Infinity Quantum Jrs. I was not enthused because I have been unimpressed with every small Infinity I've ever heard with a polycel tweeter, sonically, and due to the flimsy construction and chintzy components. These babies from 1978 are something else. They have cabinet quality comparable to JBL, excellent drivers (including a sweet EMIT tweeter, and a dome midrange almost as good as the Braun), and sound great. I don't think the woofers are original, but don't discount it either. The 2 speakers have slightly different driver adjustment markings, and connectors. Infinity Systems, like other manufacturers, continually changed and improved components. The 12 inch woofers sure act original (the cabinets look like they haven't had others installed) and sound great. Here's the Technical Manual.

2 comments:

Kurt said...

I really enjoyed reading through your blog. I remember yearning after a Pioneer SX-780 in high school (I never got it) and some JBL studio monitors (ditto). My first speakers were a pair of Koss CM 1010s, which I probably bought based on some good reviews.

Unknown said...

are u sellin it?
I got the same ones but without the stand.

do you want to buy it?