Saturday, July 3, 2010

A&R Cambridge A60 integrated amp

Update: Wonderful phono section. Neutral and musical, very unassuming, unspectacular and natural.
In the late seventies and early eighties, a handful of british magazines (Hifi Choice, What Hifi? etc.) had a lot of influence on the growing budget high end. They recommended a source down approach that often employed an expensive Linn Sondek turntable with a budget amp (most famously the NAD 3020) and inexpensive speakers (often smaller Missions like 700s)
The magazines would have liked to recommend a british amp in my example system, but there was not one better than NAD at the price point.

If one could afford a step up from the NAD, this A&R Cambridge A60 was considered the way to go. It's a high current design, rated at 30 watts/channel (compared to the 3020 at 20 watts/channel on paper...40 in the real world). The design is simple and elegant, the teak case is stunning, the transformer is massive.
It sounds great too. So far I haven't checked out the phono stage, but I will be shortly.

Email me.

2 comments:

The Grub Scout said...

I remember this amp! oh and yeah, I'm sure you're aware A&R Cambridge = ARCAM right?

currymac said...

I'm listening to an A60 as I type this. It's being driven by an AppleTV through a Fiio D/A converter and driving a pair of Spica TC-50s.