Sunday, July 25, 2010

Good News/Buzzkill



I got a Marantz 2220B 2 days ago, plugged it in quickly, and was disappointed (but not surprised) to find a channel not working. After regular cleaning, it sounds perfect, phono stage included. It's rough in one corner, but it sounds as beautiful as any 2220b I've heard. That's saying something. This receiver is popular for good reason.

I'd love to hear it driving the 97 db efficient JBL 4612 OKs but that's the buzzkill. One woofer out of the 4 has a buzz that I don't know how to fix myself. I will seek council.

The cabinets are looking a lot better...it's a matter of deciding how much more fine filling and sanding I want to do. The missing piece of tweeter that I cast in epoxy is painted black. I'm not trying to make it look new (though that would be nice), but to not draw the eye to the imperfection. I hope the woofer is easily repairable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My neighbor just gave me a Marantz 3800 preamp and a 240 amp. Also a pair of Fulton 100s. All work and look perfect. So pleased!

vintagesound said...

We all need good Neighbors like that!
The Marantz vintage is the royal family of Vintage Audio!

Corbin said...

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/1864504435.html I thought you might dig this.