Wednesday, November 9, 2011

JBL L26. The 6th pair I've had in 4 years.




and one of the coolest, prettiest pairs. The tweeters are original red surround LE-25s from a set of studio monitors. The cabinets are beautiful, I sanded them months ago as part of another abortive L26 project. I just did the binding posts yesterday, the grills this morning. The grills had the original orange cloth, but it was cat shredded, so I went black. The woofers are newly refoamed, not by me. That's a shame for 2 reasons. Firstly, the refoam was done with the foam in front of the cone, not behind as original. This makes no difference acoustically. The job itself is functionally excellent. Secondly, the refoam was done with contact cement. I suspect that the person doing the refoam did one woofer first...it worked beautifully and was (is) a nice, clean job. To celebrate, he/she drank a bottle of champagne/6 pack/whatever, then refoamed the second woofer...an equally excellent job functionally,but aesthetically sloppier. I replaced a bunch of contact cement stained gasket pieces, but now this is one of the coolest sets of of one of the coolest speakers I've ever had.

3 comments:

cliffsearch said...

Nice Lloyd. Yeah I own a set of these myself. Low entry JBLs but still not too shabby in sound. Regards

cliffsearch said...

Can you believe this FREE STUFF guy. Just another spammer. I thought he was intestest in vintage hi fi.

kelsci said...

I once heard a JBL speaker that I think was called the decade 10. These speakers shown remind me of them and if they play as good as the ones I heard you would have a terrific 2 way system